I just updated my Book List page with the following titles:
- Forest Born by Shannon Hale
- Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale
- Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale
- Beyonders: Seeds of Rebellion by Brandon Mull
- Divergent by Veronica Roth
- Insurgent by Veronica Roth
- Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans
- Michael Vey: Rise of the Elgen by Richard Paul Evans
- The Enchantress by Michael Scott
- The 13th Reality: The Journal of the Curious Letters by James Dashner
- The 13th Reality: The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner
- Red Kayak by Priscilla Cummings
The best of that bunch was Red Kayak by far. And it’s funny about that one because it’s a book my daughter needed for school so I bought it used on Amazon. When it arrived I read the back cover, thought “this sounds good”, so I read it at random and really enjoyed it. That’s always awesome just reading something out of the blue and finding an unexpected gem.
My second favorite was Palace of Stone. This is a sequel to Shannon Hale’s Princess Academy, which is one of my favorite books so I was excited about it…but also a little wary because Princess Academy is a great stand alone book (and I thought it was going to stay that way). Palace of Stone was better than I expected, so that was nice and it didn’t ruin a story I already loved. Thank goodness for that!
I’ve read approximately 18 new books this year. That’s a guess, I haven’t been keeping a careful count. I’ve probably also read an equal number of rereads. I love rereading good books and when I’ve kept track in the past my new reads vs. old is usually about the same, but again it’s just a guess. I’m currently reading Silver on the Tree by Susan Cooper (a reread, the last book in a very good fantasy series called The Dark is Rising Sequence). I have The Kill Order and The 13th Reality: The Blade of Shattered Hope, both by James Dashner, checked out from the library and waiting for me to start this week.
I’m also really excited to read J.K. Rowling’s new book, The Casual Vacancy, coming out at the end of September. I can’t wait to see how her first non-Harry Potter story is!